Portfolio Pages

Friday, January 9, 2009

Meme 2008

I've been tripping over "meme"s right and left.
They appear to be lists of questions to inspire thought and answer.
I also looked it up and found this description: "a cultural unit (an idea or value or pattern of behavior) that is passed from one person to another by non-genetic means (as by imitation);"

So...here's one to try...

1. What did you do in 2008 that you’d never done before?

Made a Tri-fold knitter's bowl. (Knit-wise, that's pretty exciting!)
Worked almost a normal year - company was only ahead by a couple of days by 12/31!
Joined Ravelry, started blogging and figured out how to use a digital camera.

2. Did you keep your New Year’s Resolutions, and will you make more for next year?

Didn't make any...know not to make any. Experience indicates I should resolve to do something other than make resolutions.

3. Did anyone close to you give birth?

I knitted 3 baby blankets.
But no one "close" to me personally. 1 person I work with and the daughters of 2 of my friends.

4. Did anyone close to you die?

My Uncle passed away a few months ago.

5. What countries did you visit?

None live and in person...lots via the Internet. (Yes, I'm counting the great "Where the Hell is Matt" Video.)

6. What would you like to have in 2009 that you lacked in 2008?

More sleep.
No, more will-power. That would cover more sleep and a whole buncha other stuff.

7. What dates from 2008 will remain etched upon your memory, and why?

I generally don't remember dates. I remember taking GreyStroke to the Vet for the last time. I remember participating in an amazing piece-work knitting class. I remember lots of things - but I can't tell you the exact date they happened unless I look at a calendar.

8. What was your biggest achievement of the year?

Keeping GreyStroke alive and comfortable 6 months longer than anyone else could have and getting BobCat back to a healthy, comfortable life.
Non-cat-wise...offered a modicum of comfort to the Yarn Harlot when folks were less than kind.

9. What was your biggest failure?

Trusting people I shouldn't and feeling like the betrayal is my fault.

10. Did you suffer illness or injury?

Mostly sleep-deprivation.
Experienced my second Colonoscopy (2nd one was WAY better than the 1st experience. Ok, 1st experience was a bit traumatizing and skewed my "anticipation" for the 2nd.)

11. What was the best thing someone bought you?

The digital Camera from my In-laws.

12. Whose behavior merited celebration?

The DH - was pretty nifty this last year. More so than usual.

13. Whose behavior made you appalled and depressed?

General Greed in the world inspiring Mtg. Failure and financial collapse due to bull-s**t speculation investing.

14. Where did most of your money go?

Bills. Vet Bills. Yarn. Chocolate.

15. What did you get really, really, really excited about?

Yarn. Accomplishing some serious knitting.

16. What song will always remind you of 2008?

Can't remember what it's called...that's pretty memorable, huh?

17. Compared to this time last year, are you:

Fatter or thinner?
 Some thinner.
Happier or sadder?
 A little happier.
Richer or poorer?
 Richer on several levels.

18. What do you wish you’d done more of?

Sleep. (Redundant answer...guess I need to do something about that...)

19. What do you wish you’d done less of?

Worrying. Trying to please other people.

20. How do you plan to spend Christmas?

At home watching movies with BobCat and knitting. Christmas light sparkling.
Egg Nog. (DH had to work)

21. Did you fall in love in 2008?

All over again.

22. How many one night stands?

Not even.

23. What was your favorite TV program?

Big Bang Theory.

24. Do you hate anyone now that you didn’t hate this time last year?

Not too many folks that actually inspire "hate". The Hitler-esque dictators...but they're not new from this year...

25. What was the best book you read?

7th Harry Potter book? I can't remember pulling any all-nighters reading.
"Witch for Hire" was interesting enough I bought the sequels...
Each evening treating myself with a chapter from Stephanie Pearl-McPhee's books!

26. What was your greatest musical discovery?

New for this year...don't think there is one. Pretty pleased with Josh Groben's stuff.

27. What did you want and get?

Yarn. A swift.

28. What did you want and not get?

The Master Bath finished when and how it was supposed to have been.

29. What was your favorite film of this year?

There seems to have been a shortage of movie-going in my life...

30. What did you do on your birthday, and how old were you?

I turned 46 and my spiffy husband took me out for a lovely dinner, dessert, and a memorable and fun walk through WinterHaven.

31. What one thing would have made your year immeasurably more satisfying?

Less greed/idiots pushing companies into bankruptcy

32. How would you describe your personal fashion concept in 2008?

Comfortable

33. What kept you sane?

Husband, friends, cats, knitting

34. Which celebrity/public figure did you fancy the most?

Hugh Jackman.

35. What political issue stirred you the most?

Gay marriage in the US

36. Who do you miss?

My friend Angie.

37. Who was the best new person you met?

Got to know Barbara a little where I work - quite spiffy.
Re-met Cynthia when she moved back to Tucson.
Vicki at Grandma's Spinning Wheel.

38. What was the best thing you ate?

Several things are coming to mind and making my mouth water...but I can't pick a "best"...

39. Tell us a valuable life lesson you learned in 2008?
I can't expect other people to prove my value or even to appreciate what I do.

40. Quote a song lyric that sums up your year.
From "Sugarland" - "Got to be something more." "I need a little less hard time; I need a little more bliss."
A lot of the "hard time" I do to myself - working too much. Not sleeping enough.
Speaking of which - off to bed.

1 comment:

  1. Perhaps you could avail yourself of certain friends who would be willing to remedy the lack of movie fun in your life... a certain recent grandmother comes to mind...

    ReplyDelete