Portfolio Pages

Sunday, February 7, 2021

Test Run

Howdy. Yep, I'm still here. Still able to type, wonder, comment, be ignorant, study, learn, revise my perspective, wonder some more...

Ok, half the challenge of writing a blog anymore is selecting a topic. 

There is soooooo much sh*... uh, stuff going on!?! 

So, before I type more on three different topics and then delete it...here's this week's current event in my life. 

I got to have my first COVID 19 test.       It tickled. 

It was preceded by the Husband coming home from work nearly a week ago - running a fever. I had him call out from work for the next day, gave him some food/meds, and made a run to the grocery store for quarantine food in case it was COVID.

Over the week, his work {slowly} made arrangements for him to get tested (next week) and I was not included in those arrangements.
OK. Fine. 

A couple of days after his fever appeared so did mine. I was inspired to get together with Pima County and get a COVID test. It was easily setup and accomplished (Thank you!!).
And it tickled. 

And the results were delivered the next day - Negative

So, I've been wearing masks and not going anywhere other than work/necessaries since, what, March 2020? I would have minor panic attacks at work because people were not taking the pandemic seriously. The fear has been there every day for the better part of a year. 
And the circle of the folks getting COVID is getting smaller and closer to us. It's no longer someone I know on line or the family of an acquaintance... now it's people I work with that are ill and the mother of one of my husband's best friends recently died from COVID

When I was at the grocery store after putting the fevered husband in bed, I tried not to hyperventilate into the extra layers of mask I was wearing. I kept thinking about the HUNDREDS of THOUSANDS of people that have died from COVID and how many more have long-term effects. 

Who will take care of the cats? Nikoli/Mikale & Simon/Shadow-Cat need to go together. Who would Gato-Kitty trust? 

I need to jot down a will so the cats and yarn will find a good home. Ah, the looms too.

Can't work on any gift-items in case I transfer the virus...

The self-dialog was acknowledging the fear but trying not to panic as...oooh...I found an excellent deal on cans of soup (.99 cents each if you buy 8!!). 

Does it matter what type of soup I get if we won't be able to taste it anyway? 

Can a text of who should get my Sewing Machine count as a will? 

Would anyone want the yarn stash if I die of COVID?

I watched over the husband and tried to keep him comfortable. I researched COVID, took temperatures, dispensed pills, kept a log, cooked, cleaned, slept on the couch and yes, we were now wearing masks in our house and trying not to pet the cats just in case.
Neither of us lost our sense of smell or taste. 
By the time I was sick-er and he was recovering, he started making me meals (Thank you!). 

Our fevers are done. We're still coughing and tired. I'll feel even better once his COVID test is done and comes back negative.  As a flu, it was average. As a focus of the fear for most of the last year, it was riveting. But the fear is still there. Vaccines are happening. But not yet for us. We're older but not that old. We are "essential" but not on the level of the many amazing people who save lives, care-take, clean, heal or teach.
{Apologies...I'm sure I'm leaving out other truly essential folks.}

And I'll be going back to work in the next day or so - wondering if the next selfish person who feels it's ok to come and breathe on me without a mask might bring COVID

Having just done the Test Run, I think we'll need more soup. 


2 comments:

  1. So good to hear from you! And how terrifying to get sick right now! I'm glad both you and hubs are ok. Sending big big hugs.

    ReplyDelete