How you be?
I'm doing...ok. Some days better. Some days a bit wonky.
I'm going to try not to discuss the world-at-large since it is largely...well, indescribable.
Ah, also I noted that my Blogiversary in July went by (for a few years) without a blog post or a comment from my part. Sigh. Sorry.
Wonky, is my version of being off-kilter, scared, befuddled or out-of-control and trying not to react embarrassingly in grumpiness or actual anger.
Once upon a time, "wonky" would visit monthly and could usually be dealt with pretty well. At one point "wonky" was an out-of-control and undiagnosed Thyroid issue that had me questioning my sanity and wondering why "old age" was setting in so early.
Today "wonky" could be related to:
- real "old age" (which doesn't seem that old to me now that I'm here.),
- menopause (hormones, or lack thereof, are still a thing)
- sleep deprivation (mostly relating to procrastination and doing-one-more-thing)
- or, BONUS, long-term Covid (my sense of smell is now more often present than not so, still improving)!
So many choices...maybe it's a combo-pack!
Over the past few years I found I could combat "wonky" with reading. Getting back to a first love.
I've added reading for a little while before I go to sleep to reset/settle my brain.
(Um, yeah. This sometimes contributes to the sleep deprivation wonky.)
I started revisiting Comfort Reads in response to, well, everything.
Yes, I turn to comfort foods at every opportunity, particularly when stressed. But there are some authors or books that allow me to visit familiar worlds, characters and charm that offer a respite from the "real" world. Maybe even some stability.
Sometimes its the setting of the book but it is usually the writing - the way something is described that delighted me at the first read and then delights me all over again. The clever banter between characters or the plot twist I didn't see coming - or that I forgot because I read it a long time ago.
I started with a core favorite: Anne McCaffrey's Dragon Rider series:Dragon Flight, Dragon Rider, and the White Dragon.
I then tucked into Carol Severance's "Reefsong" (clever, well written and I love the Polynesian aspect) and Robin McKinley's "Beauty". {Happy Sigh. Love the humor, phrasing and charm.}
And then I re-visited Steven Brust's series about Vlad Taltos, assassin. Brilliant, funny, with a wry humor I appreciate and some pretty good twists. I had actually only read the first 5 books so after the fun refresh on Vlad's life, I started reading the newer adventures. I found new stories with a "comfort" read tone AND have more to find so I can see what happens next. Wicked clever!
Inspired by some of the folks I follow on Twitter, I purchased three books: "Becoming Duchess Goldblatt" by Anonymous, "Bodacious: The Shepherd Cat" by Suzanna Crampton, and "The Wild Remedy" by Emma Mitchell.
I read of Duchess Goldblatt and became more fond of what she has to say (tweet) and why she says it. I gifted her book to a beloved friend who I don't think got to read it before she passed away.
I read a chapter a night of Bodacious to sooth my brain. I feel like I've been exploring a wood listening to stories of someone I respect and admire.
The 3rd book, "The Wild Remedy, How Nature Mends Us" awaits me. I think it will also settle my brain some - necessary when I have bungled things in my life or the news of the day/bizarre failings of human beings confounds me beyond reason.
I have also revisited the Diana Tregarde series by Mercedes Lackey (another of my absolute favorite authors). I re-read the first two of the 3 books I have but I think the last is one I hadn't visited before.
Then, I spent a couple of years reading alllllll my Valdemar books by the amazing Ms. Lackey and her stellar husband, Larry Dixon. I actually haven't finished that excursion. There are many books I don't have and a fair number pending in piles (along with a fair amount of dust, to be honest).
Did you make it down this far or did your eyes glaze over as I happily babbled on about books as I attempt to retain my sanity in our wonky world. Still reading? Well done, you!
I'll stop now. (I heard a couple of you mumble "About time.")
S'ok, I get it. There are more reading adventures to relate to catch us up to 2026 so maybe that will inspire another round of blogging. We shall see.
All the best to you.
No comments:
Post a Comment