Portfolio Pages

Wednesday, September 9, 2009

The Kindness of Strangers

Today was not initially a great day. I felt like persona non grata on several fronts mostly relating to work. And I was a little tired and weepy. Yeah, I'm all sorts of fun to hang out with right now.
Gotta get some sleep.

I did get to go meet up with a variety of lovely crafty folks at Grandma's Spinning Wheel and that seriously eased some stress.

But profound kindness was gifted to me when I swung by Trader Joe's after crafting.

I picked up lunch salad stuff, something for a pot-luck, office chocolate {extremely important}, yummy Greek honey yogurt, and some rice pudding as a treat for the DH.

I also asked the cashier if I could get a gift certificate.
She had already established herself in my eyes as fun and friendly as I'd seen her dashing about the store earlier with a grin and "Pardon me".

She dashed off in search of a card to make the gift certificate.
I noted I was trying to help out my brother by picking up a gift card a week from places around town. (Yes, this is something I've been doing to help a very little bit in the past few weeks.)

She did the deed, I wrote the check, and as we waited for the receipt to print, she dashed off again and brought me back this:




"I hope you like white" she said.







I stammered something along the lines of "They're beautiful." and I think some kind of stunned "Are you sure?"/"I can't"....




"These are because you're trying to help someone else".





I believe she also said something like "We need to stick together and help each other".


I was pretty stunned and trying not to cry at this point. I gave her a hug and she hugged me back and I quietly said "My Sister-in-Law died a little over a week ago" because I wanted her to know how much this special gift, this show of kindness - from a stranger - meant to me at this particular time in my life.





I cried on the way home. Yep, still weepy, but thankful and feeling blessed by a young lady with a very good heart.

No comments:

Post a Comment