Portfolio Pages

Monday, March 16, 2009

Wear'n O' the Green

Me Da tol' me a very long time ago - "You're already Irish - you don't have to wear green on St. Patrick's Day."
This tradition may have been started from a bad St. Paddy's when I forgot to wear green and was pretty well abused at school. However, I have always liked the idea and I share it out at the least provocation. When I'm older and gray-er, I expect it'll be common knowledge and a fine pinch-less tradition.

So, in honor of St. Paddy and my family's American Irish Green-ness, I thought I'd show some of Tucson's Spring Greenery.
The Aloe Vera plants in my yard have pushed up their stalks and presented tubular flowers to which the hummingbirds and bees are attracted. The bees were being a bit shy today. Yesterday they were visiting these flowers with legs loaded with pollen...today, they were too fast for my camera and their legs were rather bare of pollen.

















Notice the purple flowers?








When we bought the house there was a green bush in the corner of the yard. The next spring, I was surprised to find it offered Lilac blossoms to delight me and make me smile for the lovely scent and flowers from my childhood.










































Lastly - these are the flowers that, for me, truly represent spring in Tucson. African Daisies.
When the African Daisies bloom - it means it is Spring.
They close up at night and open to face the day.
They don't stay for long - just for our short springtime.


























These happy flowers are in the yard of my neighbor, Linda.








Have a lovely St. Patrick's Day!






No comments:

Post a Comment